How did I get here? And what are the things that could happen while in this place?
~
From the point of this realization onward, I have struggled to understand just what it could mean, and how it could be, that my life matters. Is there something specific I am called to do? Is there a place that I am meant to be? Is there a sacrifice I must make? And will I know it when it happens - or will I know before? Will I ever know at all? These are the questions I had coming into college, and they remain with me even still. You see, making the decision to apply and eventually be accepted as an InterVarsity campus staff member did not happen easily. In fact, it was rather like being stuck at sea for a long time, with a terrible gale ripping against the sides of the boat with no hope of the shore.
But like many storms, sometimes in the most ferocious and hopeless moment, the sun will break through and bring cascading light on all that was once dark and cold.
Looking back now, I can see that in every moment on this rough journey, God has never left me. He whispered his plans, his dreams, and his calling for me over and over and over.... And while it was sometimes difficult to hear over the loud, whistling wind; I would often catch a bit of the sweet melody of his song over me that he knew the plans for me, and they would prosper me and not harm me... they would give me a hope and a future. And yet here I am, in this place, afraid to walk into what he has for me. So long on the ripping waves that I fear the shore.
If you don't know already, after many years of considering, avoiding, crying over, and praying through it - I eventually accepted that God was inviting me to follow him as an InterVarsity campus staff member. Though I dreamed of security, and dreamed of making my parents proud, and hoped for marriage and stability and a home to call my own, I am instead walking into the unknown with nothing but the melody of God to direct my path... and I am afraid. That is what I mean by life going on all around me while I remain stuck. If I move forward now, I risk so much. I risk disappointing my parents. I risk being at the mercy of what other believers are willing to give to the ministry of God. I risk failing, over and over and over again until maybe one day it all is alright. This would scare the hell out of anyone. Yet I realize, right now, that it is in this place of sacrifice and risk that God can truly show just how faithful he remains to me, even in my doubt, fear, and insecurity. If it were not for the winds ripping at my boat, and the waves blocking all view of the shore, if it were not for the darkness - I would not recognize just how marvelous the light was when it broke through and just how sweet the melody rang in my ears when God invited to me to follow him.
So yes - I am still afraid. And I may fail at first, and I may fail again... but God is here. He is here in this moment. And it is with his strength and courage, that I will one day testify to his goodness and all the things that happen while in this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment